Did you know carrots are ranked among the world’s healthiest foods. They belong to the Umbelliferae family, named after the umbrella-like flower clusters that plants in this family produce. Most of us associate carrots with the color orange, but carrots come in a variety of colors including white, yellow, red, or purple.
Carrots are good for your body’s overall health, especially that of the skin, eyes, digestive system and teeth!
Here are ten reasons why you should eat more carrots:
- Beta carotene:Carrots are a rich source of this powerful antioxidant, which, among other vital uses, can be converted into vitamin A in the body to help maintain healthy skin.
- Digestion:Carrots increase saliva and supply essential minerals, vitamins and enzymes that aid in digestion. Eating carrots, on a regular basis can help prevent gastric ulcers and other digestive disorders.
- Alkaline elements:Carrots are rich in alkaline elements, which purify and revitalize the blood while balancing the acid/alkaline ratio of the body.
- Potassium:Carrots are a good source of potassium, which can help maintain healthy sodium levels in the body, by that helping to reduce elevated blood pressure levels.
- Dental Health:Carrots kill harmful germs in the mouth and help prevent tooth decay.
- Wounds:Raw or grated carrots can be used to help heal wounds, cuts, and inflammation.
- Phytonutrients:Among the many beneficial phytochemicals that carrots contain is a phytonutrient called falcarinol, which may reduce the risk of colon cancer and help promote overall colon health.
- Carotenoids: Carrots are rich in carotenoids, which our bodies can use to help regulate blood sugar.
- Fiber:Carrots are high in soluble fiber, which may reduce cholesterol by binding the LDL form (the kind we don’t want). And increasing the HDL form (the kind our body needs) to help reduce blood clots and prevent heart disease.
- Eyes, hair, nails and more!The nutrients in carrots can improve the health of your eyes, skin, hair, nails and more through helping to detoxify your system and build new cells!
Read more about this power food here: http://www.care2.com/greenliving/10-reasons-to-eat-more-carrots.html#ixzz3QaSxfVdy