- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- One teaspoon baking powder
- One teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup cooked, mashed, cooled sweet potato
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup sugar
- Two eggs
Frosting: You can use a store bought frosting or you can make your own. See instructions below
- 2-Minute Frosting:
- Two Tablespoons butter softened
- One cup powdered sugar
- One tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- One teaspoon vanilla
- One tablespoon milk to soften
- Preheat your oven to 350° Fahrenheit. Then line a 9-inch round cake pan with parchment paper.
- Peel and dice the sweet potato. Boil or steam until soft. Then mash with a fork. And set aside to cool.
- Sift dry ingredients into a bowl and Set aside.
- Combine the buttermilk, vanilla, and the mashed sweet potato in a small bowl and set aside.
- Use an electric mixer set to medium-high, beat the oil, sugar & eggs for 3-4 minutes until thickened.
- At the lowest speed, add buttermilk mixture followed by the flour mixture.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan. And bake cake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely in the pan on a wire rack, then add frosting.
- In a bowl with an electric hand mixer, beat butter, powdered sugar, cocoa, and vanilla.
- Adjust consistency with milk, beating well.