My yummy vanilla cake is a quick and easy dessert to make-you will not be disappointed. Its moist, fork-tender texture and rich vanilla flavor, plus the crunchy coconut flakes, are sure to make this a favorite for any occasion.
- 2 cups of All-Purpose Flour, sifted
- 3/4 teaspoon of regular or kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- 3/4 cup plus 2 of tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 4 1/2 teaspoons cider or white vinegar
- One tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- Four tablespoons butter, regular or vegan, at room temperature
- Two cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 cup of coconut flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Two tablespoons water
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line an 8″ square or 9″ round cake pan with parchment paper and set it aside.
- To make the cake: Whisk together the flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder In a medium-sized bowl, and set aside
- In a separate bowl, the spices, water, vegetable oil, and the sugar
- Then add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir until combine.
- Next, gently pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake the cake for 32 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into its center, comes out looking clean.
- Remove cake from the oven and allow it to cool in the pan for ten minutes. At this point you either serve the cake warm, or allow it to cool completely before applying the frosting.
- How to make the frosting: Beat together the butter, sugar, and salt.
- Next, add the vanilla and the two tablespoons of water- beat well to incorporate-add additional water as needed
- Next, fold in the coconut flakes
- Next apply the frosting to the cake with a spatula. Allow frosting to set before cutting the cake.