Tag: Jamaican cooking
• ¼ pound codfish
• One medium-sized Tomato, (chopped into small cubes).
• One medium-sized Onion (diced)
• 2-3 cups All-Purpose Flour
• ¼ teaspoon Hot Pepper
• One small Clove Garlic, (break or diced into small pieces).
• One teaspoon Paprika
• 2 Stalks Scallion, (sliced into small pieces)
• 3-4 over-ripe bananas
• Vegetable Oil (use a moderate amount)
1. Soak codfish for 1-2 hours. Then boil for 15 minutes to get rid of excess salt. (Drain and put aside).
2. Peel bananas and place them in a blender. Blend for approximately 20 seconds. Pour mixture into a large bowl.
3. Add flour to banana mixture. Stir with a large spoon and add water as needed until batter barely runs off the spoon.
4. Break codfish into small pieces. (Put aside).
5. Add season to codfish, (hot pepper, paprika, scallion, garlic, onion and tomato).
6. Mix codfish and season combo into banana and flour mixture.
7. Heat oil in a skillet. Once the oil is hot, use a spoon of your choosing and drop the mixture into the skillet and press down. Fry on both sides until fritters are golden brown and crisp. Drain and serve warm.